Sunday, October 07, 2007

It's something I don't want to talk about


《China shakes the world: The rise of a hungry nation》 by James Kynge

What would I say about this book? Neither a surprise or an excitement for me in reading his discovery and analysis about China's rise from economic, political and cultural perspective. It's not the problem of this book but because I am already so familiar to those information revealed in the book. To be fair, the author is quite an excellent journalist who is able to capture the fact and give reader the insight about China this twisted and perplexed country. Through this book, I am impressed by his knowledge about the history of China and piecing up many significant or insignificant events as some clues to make readers easily understand the whole paradox along with the international stage.

In my concern, because of the lure of mass production and its own energy consuming inefficiency, China has been left no choice but grabbing the resources and energy from those troublesome states and indirectly supporting their ill governing where atrocities taken place. According to the data showing, the environment in China is inevitably deteriorating and severely damaged. Unarguably the authoritarian ill governance which not match with the market economy , the reluctance in political reform which increases the possibility to have a financial crisis can easily draw the whole nation into self-destruction. Nevertheless, it's not an optimistic future for the most of Chinese people because tensions whatever inside or outside the nation are rising rapidly. Whether China's pragmatism will win over its nationalism , having an air of menace in the mass along with its rising military power, and with the propaganda to the youth, it's very challenging not only for China but the whole world.

I am not a person have enthusiasm although I am still curious about the world. Basically, I only make half-hearted attempt to watch the show about this world. Let's see what will happen next, the show must go on.

No comments: